One of my favourite Layer Cakes! I love everything that has coffee in it, so this cake is definitely in my top 5 list!
It’s quite easy to make although requires a few steps and things to do. But please don’t be discouraged by this, you are going to like it and your friends too!
for the sponges
- 300f of flour
- 300g of butter, soft
- 300g of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 5g of baking powder
- 3 shots of expresso coffee
- 15g of cocoa powder + 30g
for the filling and coating
- 40g of cocoa powder
- 150g of icing sugar
- 3 tablespoon of milk
- 1 tablespoon of instant coffee
- 1kg of mascapone cheese
- 15g of cocoa powder for the coating
- 100ml of coffee, espresso
- 50g of sugar
Lets make the sponges:
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer, then add the eggs.
- Add the flour and baking powder. Mix well.
- Split the batter in 4 equal batches
- 1 batch, plain goes into a 20cm lined tin
- Now take another batch and add 2 shots of espresso coffee, mix well, pour the coffee batter into another 20cm lined tin.
- Now take another batch of batter and add 1 shot of expresso coffee, plus 15g of cocoa powder. Mix well, pour into a 20cm lined tin.
- Now take the last batch of batter and add 2 shots of espresso coffee plus 30g of cocoa powder. Mix well and pour into the 4th 20cm lined tin.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 175° for 20 minutes.
- Let them cool down completely
Lets make the filling:
- Place the mascarpone into a large bowl.
- Add the icing sugar and milk.
- Stir together until the mixture is smooth (with a spatula, gently)
- Now split this cream into 5 batches:
- 4 batches will be used as filling
- 1 batch will be used to coat the cake
- PLEASE NOTE: the 5th batch must be a little bigger then the other 4 batches.
Lets make the coffee syrup:
- Pour the coffee into a bowl (100ml) plus 100ml of water and 50g of sugar.
- Place it in the microwave for 3 minutes then mix well until the sugar is dissolved.
- Let it cool down completely.
- Take the four sponges, level them, get rid of the “dome” if they got any while baking.
- Place the first sponge (vanilla, plain) on a cake board.
- Now pour the coffee syrup on it and let it soak in.
- Spread some plain mascapone cheese filling.
- Go ahead with the other 3 layers: syrup and filling.
- Place it in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Now take that 5th batch of filling, the biggest of the 5 batches.
- Split it into 3 smaller batches: one plain, one with 5g of cocoa powder and 1 with 10 g of cocoa powder.
- This will be used for the coating of the cake so you can create that lovely ombre effect.
Keep in the fridge and serve with a nice cup of coffee or as an afternoon treat.
It’s rich, very “wintery” and many of your friends are going to love it!