I have lived in Gran Canaria, and after having published my recipes for Churros and Papas Arrugadas, here I am again with a traditiona Spanish dish: Tortilla de Papas – Spanish potatoe omelette. These are greatly available everywhere since it is a typical spanish dish, often eaten in a crunchy baguette with mayo.
I’ve learned how to make it while living in Maspalomas, it is rather simple but it take a while to cook and …yeas, pealing and slicing potatoes is not the funniest job ever.
However, the end result will be so yummy and tasty that you must try and make your own Papas Tortilla!
- 270gr of potatoes
- 1 onion, pealed and finely sliced
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Peal the potatoes and cut them in thin slices.
- Dry them using kitchen paper.
- Drizzle a couple of spoons of olive oil into a non-stick frying pan.
- Add the onions and potatoes.
- Cook for 30 minutes over medium heat, stirring well from time to time.
- Keep cooking them untile the potatoes are tender.
- When cooked, set them aside for 15 minutes to cool down.
- In the mean time beat the eggs into a large bowl.
- Add the potatoes and onion, stirr well.
- Cook this mixture back into the frying pan for 25 minutes.
- Use a large spatula and turn the torlilla over.
- Make sure you take this step when the tortilla already looks pretty well cooked, not runny.
- Cook for 10 extra minutes.
Very good when hot, but believe me it is so-ooo very delicious even cold! Now take a slice of good bread and have with bread and mayo, that’s the “naughty” way 🙂