I love Scotch Eggs. I perfectly know that they are nothing “healthy” nor “light”, but who cares, they are super good and fun for a summer pic nic!
That’s why I really wanted to show you how to make these eggs, very tasty and full of flavour.
A Scotch Egg can be either baked or fried, I though to fry mine, to be honest to you I really wanted “the real thing” 🙂
for 4 eggs
- 5 eggs, 1 beaten
- 400g of sausage meat
- 1 tb of freshly chopped parsley
- ½ nutmeg
- ½ tb of mustard
- salt, pepper
- some flour for dusting
- 100g of breadcrumbs
- 1lt of vegetable oil
- Take the saunsages and cut them open and put all the sausage meat into a bowl.
- Add in the grated nutmeg, parsley, salt and pepper and mustard.
- Mix it all very well and divide this mixture into 4 parts.
- Set aside.
- Put the 4 eggs into a pot with boiling water, boil for 4 minutes
- then transfer in a bowl with cold water, peel them when they are cold.
- Roll a peeled egg in flour
- Now wrap the sausaged meat around the egg, cover it all around.
- Now have 3 small bowls ready:
- one with a few tablespoons of flour – one with the beaten eggs – one with breadcrumbs
- Roll an egg into the flour, then into the beaten egg and thirdly into the breadcrumbs.
- Now again into the beaten egg and again into the breadcrumbs.
- Roll in the egg and breadcrumbs again for a really good coating.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan at about 160º
- Put the eggs into the pan with the hot oil, and cook for about 4 maximun 5 minutes, turning every now and then.
- Remove the eggs from the pan and lay them on a piece of kitchen paper to absorb to eccess of oil.
- Let them aside for a few minutes, they are very hot and the heat will continue cooking the sausage meat for some extra minutes even though they are not actually in the frying pan.
Yes this recipe has some “thicky” steps, the coating bit, but when they are ready …you’ll realize it was all worth it! Perfect served with fried sweet potatoes!