I still recall the face of my customers every time I used to tell them that “those muffins or plumcakes” were with lemon and poppy seeds. Many had no idea of what poppy seeds are, and thought of something disgusting and weird-tasting. I know, it’s sad and it is difficult to believe, but poppy seeds are not that widely used in italian desserts, that’s why many have no idea of what they taste like, and assumed they tasted like !£$%. Welcome into the fab world of my customers!
But I’m stubborn, I don’t give up that easily and that’s why I kept baking muffins and plumcakes with poppy seeds, that’s how this recipe came up….just added orange pulp to an already delicious recipe!
PS: it is a very simple recipe, you don’t even need a standing mixer!
- ¼ ts of soda
- 2 oranges, zest, juice and pulp
- 4 tbs of poppy seeds
- 3 eggs
- 1 ts of vanilla extract
- 210g of flour
- 180g of sugar
- 3g of baking powder
- 180ml of vegetable oil
- 70ml of milk, whole
You need muffin cases and a muffin tray
- Pre-heat oven at 175°
- In a very large bowl, mix together the eggs with sugar and oil, using a whisker, until you get a creamy mixture.
- Now add the milk and stir well.
- Now add the orange zest, orange juice and the pulp. (Use a spoon and take off the remaing pulp from the rind)
- Little by little add in the flour with the baking powder
- Stir well using a spatula
- Now add the soda and keep mixing
- Add the poppy seeds, incorporate them into the batter
- Pour the batter into the muffin cases.
- Bake for 20/25 minutes
- (please check if it is ready!)
Let it cool down, you can add some honey to each slice, or you could add some honey over the top while it is still hot. This will give it extra nice flovour and some yummy stickiness 🙂