I was asked by a Lady that I know if I was able to make a “Happy Bread cake”.Sure, I replied. But that was not true. Not entirely. I’ve made it before but did not turn out that good. This time I really wanted, and needed, to bake a super good Happy Bread Cake.
That’s how I started thinking about what to stuff it with, which ingredients were ok with this kind of recipe, and I thought that putting grated parmesan cheese in the dough was a good starting point.What came out is a delicious savoury cake, med style and with a lot of flavour!
It is not complicated, please give it a try!
- 115ml of warm milk, whole
- 7g of active dryed yeast
- 1 tbs of sugar
- 500g of flour
- 70g of corn flour
- 1ts of salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 ts of lemon juice
- 120g of butter, melted
- 3 tbs of olive oil
- 70g of grated parmesan cheese
- 200g of pesto sauce
- 200g of bacon slices
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs of milk
- Put the yeast in a bowl with the warm milk, sugar and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of your standing mixer, put the flour, the corn flour, the grated parmesan cheese, the salt, the egg and the olive oil.
- Add the lemon juice and the yeast mixture.
- Knead the dough with the kneading attachment, until you get a smooth and not too sticky dough.
- Place the dough into a greased bowl, cover with clingfilm and let it rise for 1 hour.
- After 1 hours, transfer the dough on a floured surface and roll it out, thickness should be 5mm.
- Cut long stripes (see picture) out of it and spread the pesto sauce on each stripe.
- Add the bacon slices.
- Roll each stripe and place each “rose” in a tin, lined with parchment paper.
- Brush all the “roses” after having placed them all in the tin, brush them with a mixture of egg and milk.
- Pre-heat oven at 180°.
- Set the tin aside and let the “roses” rise in a warm place for about 25-30 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 160° after 15 minutes in the oven.
- To add extra softness and moisture: as soon as the Happy bread cake comes out of the oven: brush it with melted butter and cover with a tea-towel for 5 minutes.
They are delicious served hot but one for breakfast the day after would be a great idea!
Please let me know if you decide to make these bread roses, it’s a vet nice idea for a summer garden dinner!